Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Beckoning Light book Review


Oh my, where to start.  First, a brief apology that this is so late in posting.  I have been having major computer issues with my computer randomly turning off and just got my new computer today and it too much longer than I anticipated getting it set up.  But enough about me, let’s get to the good stuff.

“Beckoning Light” by Alyssa Rose Ivy was an engrossing read.  I was drawn into the story almost immediately.  At first I thought it was just going to be a sweet romance between a finally come of age girl and her older brother’s best friend and childhood crush.  Boy was I wrong.  It was so much more complex and intriguing that that. 
Charlotte, one of the two main characters, is drawn to a gate in her garden.  This creepy gate that was kept locked and forbidden her entire life; but she had seen lights in it before… or maybe it was just a dream.  Then she can’t let it go and eventually finds a way in. It was kind of like a grown up “Secret Garden” with a dark side.
I was drawn to the character of Charlotte who was painfully shy and felt socially awkward, much as I did as a teen, so she was very likable as she tried hard to overcome her shyness because it hurt her brother.
Kevin, the other main character, was Charlotte’s older brother and his life revolved around basketball until his sister disappeared.  The story is told back and forth between their two points of view.
I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who likes the idea of another world and a secret entrance to another world.  It was a quick read for me as I was very involved in it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing Beckoning Light! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete